MLHS – Living by the Spirit
Units for the Year
Biology develops the basic understanding of the study of life and its applications. Topics covered during the year include:
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Genetics and Heredity
- Creation and Evolution
- Treat people with dignity and respect (Matt. & Rom. 12:1-5)
- Be neat and honest with your work (Col. 3:23)
- Follow policies and procedures (1 Peter )
- Be on time, and ready for class (1 Peter 4:7)
- Perform to the best of your ability/Be responsible (Matt. 25:21)
Materials need for class
- 3-Ring Notebook (One section or one notebook just for biology)
- Spiral Notebook/Loose leaf paper (one just for biology for notes)
- Legible pen or pencil (If I can not read it, it will not receive credit)
- Red Pen (For checking work)
- Assignment Notebook
- Colored Pencils (Optional. Some will be provided in class)
Grades are based on points earned compared to the total points possible. Points can be earned from:
- Organization (Assignment Notebook & Notebook)
- Projects (Leaf project in the 1st six weeks)
- Final exam (15% of semester grade)
- Extra credit (when available)
§ Homework will be checked the day after it is assigned (unless otherwise noted). If homework is late you will not receive full credit. If work is consistently missing, you will receive a warning and parents will be contacted.
- Test will be given after each unit. If all homework and review sheet are turned in on time, the student will receive 5 points extra credit. Retakes may be taken. Retakes must be completed one week after the test is returned. The highest grade you can earn on a retake is a C. To retake a test the student must:
- Have all homework in for the unit
- Have the test review sheet completed
- Do Test Corrections (On a separate sheet of paper write the correct answers and EXPLAIN why it is the correct answer.)
- If you are caught cheating, the least that will happen is you will receive a zero (0) on the assignment and your parents will be contacted. If you cheat on a project, test, or quiz it will be reported to the office.
- If you are absent, please get your assignments by one of the following methods:
· Check the Website
· Ask the teacher when you return to school
· Call a reliable friend in class.
- If you are absent for a long period of time, please contact the school so the assignments can be sent home. You are required to complete all the missing work.
- If absence is due to a vacation, field trip, or other school activity, you get assignments ahead of time and make arrangements for tests and quizzes ahead of time.
- You will receive one day for every day you are absent to complete the missing homework, unless other arrangements have been made.
- You must be completely in the classroom by the end of the tone. Please be seated immediately
- 3 tardies = Saturday Detention 6 tardies = Another one 7 tardies = Referral
- You need to bring your three-ring notebook with notes, paper, assignment notebook and a writing utensil everyday.
- You will know we are ready to start class when I am in the front taking prayer requests, starting a devotion, or ask someone to pray.
- Have your homework out and ready before class begins.
- ASK QUESTIONS!!!!
- You need to take notes when there is information projected or we are watching a video.
- Use the time given to you in class to work, or it will not be given to you in the future.
- The only food or drink that is allowed in class is water.
- Gum is allowed in class as long as the teacher does not see, hear, or find evidence of it.
- The following steps will generally be taken if you are out of line or misbehaving: the “Look,” I am near our desk, a verbal warning, a call home, a referral.
- Fire: The entire class is to walk quietly out the maintenance exit (past the wood shop) and listen and follow instructions.
- Tornado: The entire class is to walk quietly to the math wing and listen and follow directions.
- Medical: Contact office. Follow directions
- Before School 7:20-7:50 Tuesday-Friday
- Before School 7:20-8:26 student help Thursdays
- After School 3:06-3:30 Monday-Friday (By Appointment)
- Free Periods 1 and 4 (you need a green pass to come at these hours)