Intermediate Mathematics - Course Handout
"Living by the Spirit" Galatians 5:16-26
UNITS FOR THE YEAR
Intermediate Mathematics develops basic understanding of Algebra and Geometry. Topics covered during the year include:
- solving and graphing linear equations and inequalities
- solving systems of equations and applications
- solving, graphing and taking roots of quadratics
- basic operations of polynomials
- factoring polynomials
- similar and congruent triangles
- special right triangles
- basic rules of logic
- basic properties of quadrilaterals
- basic rules of parallel lines
- basic trigonometry of right triangles
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR CLASS
1. Notebook (3 ring binder with paper)
2. Pencil for quizzes/tests (pen may be used for notes)
4. Scientific calculator or better (TI-30xIIs is recommended)
Grades are based on points earned compared to the total points possible. Points can be earned from:
4. Graded Assignments
6. Final Exam (counts 2 test grades)
7. Extra Credit (when available)
Absence: If you are absent, please get assignments by one of the following methods:
1. asking me when you return to school
2. calling a reliable friend from class
3. checking the Milwaukee Lutheran website
If you are absent for a long period of time, please contact the school so that assignments can be sent home. You are required to make up the missing work. When you get back, you need to make arrangements with me to get the work completed. If an absence is due to a field trip or other school activities, you must get assignments ahead of time and make arrangements for missing quizzes or test ahead of time.
Tardies: You must be completely in the classroom by the end of the tone. Please get seated immediately.
HOW TO BE SUCCESSFUL
1. Take notes (in a notebook) during class. Copy sample problems from board and try them as we go through them in class. Do the assignments in your notebook. If you have trouble with the problems, come in and get extra help. Notebooks will be collected and graded at the end of each chapter.
2. Use all given class time to begin your assignment.
3. Take announced quizzes. Quizzes must be taken again if you do not meet the set standard of 80%. Before you can take the quiz over, you must:
a. Do 2 correctives of each wrong problem on a separate sheet of paper.
b. Correctives must be stapled to the quiz when submitted (24 hour return policy).
c. Re-quizzes must be taken on your own time (before school, after school, study hall)
d. Re-quizzes must be taken by assigned deadlines (deadlines will be posted on the board).
NOTE: You may re-do any quiz by following these guidelines. The second quiz score counts.
4. Take Chapter Tests.
a. Chapter tests are cumulative. The last cumulative chapter test of the semester will be the final exam.
To access grades go to the Milwaukee Lutheran website. Daily work will be posted within 2-3 days. Quizzes/Tests will be posted within 1 week.
Cheating policy: You will receive a zero along with the person who gave you the answers or work and parents will be notified.
Extra Help: Hours 3 and 8 (with a pass from me)
before school (7:35-7:50 Mondays; 7:20-7:50 Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays)
before school (7:30-8:30 on Student Help Thursdays)
after school (3:06-3:35 ) (except when coaching)
Passes: Given for emergencies only! (need planner and school ID)
Classroom R's: Responsiblitiy and Respect
You are responsible for your education. Others, like myself, are here to guide and help you. Please respect the right of others wanting to learn.
School Phone Number: 414-461-6000 My extension: 273